Friday, March 14, 2008

For the Bible Tells Me So

A documentary addressing homophobia in the church, its roots and justifications. I don't know where it comes from, the anger, and the movie doesn't explain it that well. Although I'm not sure anything can. Among others, it features interviews with the parents of Anglican bishop Gene Robinson and the Gephardts, whose daughter is out. While the film's effort is laudable, it's execution is not that great. And towards the end it becomes a blatant pro-Soulforce and anti-Focus on the Family screed, which, even if you agree with, is not that interesting. It's okay to portray Gene Robinson's actions as laudable for furthering gay rights. But to have people call him a "holy man" might go too far.

Archbishop Desmond Tutu has some nice words at the end, though: "I can't for the life of me imagine that God would say, 'I will punish you because you are black. You should have been white. I will punish you because you are a woman; you should have been a man. I punish you because you are homosexual; you ought to have been heterosexual.' I can't -- I can't for the life of me believe that that is how God sees things."

No comments: