Saturday, May 17, 2008

Rosario Tijeras

I don't see too many Colombian films. So upon starting this one, I wondered, will films from this country reflect that the country is torn apart by the drug war, rebel groups, terrorism, assassinations, paramilitaries, and rampant kidnapping? Will Colombian films reflect that the country's biggest exports are cocaine, heroin, flowers, coffee, and Shakira? If this movie is any indication, yes. It's a saucy, violent, striking thriller about an assassin loved by many men; it's like a Colombian "Shiri," but not nearly as good. Unfortunately, the movie seems like a meta-experiment in imparting to the viewer the experience of the actors' cocaine use -- for however amped up and frenetic the first half is, the second half is that much slowed down and like a comedown, and it's a letdown.

If I allot myself two hours to watch this film again, I will watch the first half and then watch the first half again.

No comments: