Sunday, October 5, 2008

Iron Man

A decent blockbuster, but it thinks it's too cool for its own good. Watchable, but forgettable.

I remember seeing Robert Downey Jr. on the cover of Rolling Stone recently. The premise of the story (from what I gather; I didn't read it) is that Downey Jr. is on a roll, he's the man to watch, etc. This is based on the fact that this year he was in "Iron Man" (which was well reviewed) and "Tropic Thunder" (where he was great). To me, the bar for achievement in acting has just been lowered. To qualify as having a stunning year in movies, at least for Rolling Stone, you have to go 2 for 2. That's all we ask: that someone be good in two movies in a row. I think we can expect a little better from our actors. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Downey Jr. I thought he was also good in last year's "Zodiac." I'm talking strictly about the media and movie reviewers and how they get on whatever bandwagon is playing at the multiplex this week.

No comments: