Friday, December 12, 2008

The Dark Knight

I stand corrected: Christian Bale does take his shirt off. When he's on the boat with the Russian ballet, we catch a side glimpse for a split second. But for the record, I don't think that counts.

After a second viewing, I stand by my original review. The Joker scenes are great, like when he's leaning out the window of the car or robbing the bank. I like the premise, that a terrorist turns a whole city into chaos. And I like how Alfred describes the Joker: "Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

But the non-Joker parts drag. The turning of Two-Face still makes no sense, and I think the movie would have been better served by losing an hour, losing Two-Face, and focusing on the Joker.

No comments: