Friday, June 13, 2008

The Other Boleyn Girl

The story of how one family tried to sleep their way to the top. Might have been good in a "Poison Ivy" kind of a way, but for some reason, the cinematographer had the cameras out of focus during the good stuff. The movie suffers from a huge plot problem, akin to that of the recent seasons of "Lost." I'm thinking of the curious power of Ben to give people a reason to kill him and not be killed, and the ability to have people do what he says when there's no reason for them to do so. Here, the uncle tells everyone in his sister's family -- the Boleyns -- what to do, and they don't want to do it, and yet they do it. Um, may I ask why?

And if I could get on my democracy soapbox for a minute, I think it's odd so many people are concerned about the legitimacy of the heir to the king. It's as if they legitimately worry, if we don't have some random-ass heir (whoever comes out of the queen), then we'll end up with some other random-ass heir, and that would be bad. As if monarchies aren't inherently ridiculous. End of lecture, England's ridiculous, I'm done.

No comments: