Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Man Who Laughs

A silent film that takes place in 17th Century England. The only reason I watched it is because I read it's the basis for the character of the Joker. In this film, the son of a politician is operated on -- by Gypsies, of course -- and given a permanent smile so he can forever laugh at his fool of a father. And in fact, he looks like the Joker, but more Jack Nicholson's than Heath Ledger's.

I don't get the role of court jesters, in this film or in Shakespeare or in reality. Apparently, if you were a jackass and said stupid crap, you could be employed. I wonder if there's a modern-day equivalent, like a politician or a starring role in a sitcom (ahem, "King of Queens"). And who are these kings who tolerate these jesters? Jackasses in their own right, I imagine -- modern-day producers of film and TV.

Silent films are great since you can watch 'em in fast forward and still get the gist.

No comments: